Belzona 5721 is a 2-component, high-performance coating, specifically formulated for protecting the leading edge of wind turbine blades from erosion and impact damage.
This system is ideally suited for the rigorours of in-situ applications, being easy to apply by brush in a single coat. Together with its low-temperature cure technology, Belzona 5721 can maximise available maintenance opportunities and ensure the turbine’s fast return to service.
It is also safe to use due to being cold applied without the need for specialist tools or equipment. Furthermore, the Belzona solution is 100% solids and solvent free, making it suitable for factory application.
- Erosion protection against rain and debris, specifically designed for LEP
- Outstanding adhesion to GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic)
- Curing time is minimised to half an hour, even at temperatures as low as 5°C (41°F)
- Excellent long-term protection against the effects of UV degradation
- This solvent-free system is easy to mix and apply by brush, without the need for hot work
Applications for Belzona 5721:
- Long term protection of the leading edge on wind turbine blades.
- Erosion and corrosion protection on to similar types of equipment, including fan blades
Key technical data:
|Mixing ratio (Base : Solidifier)||1.75 : 1 by volume|
|Coverage rate||1.3 m2 (14 ft2 ) / kg at 500 microns (20 mils)|
|Shelf life||3 years|
|Working life||30 minutes at 5-40°C (41-104°F), 65% RH|
|Rain erosion||No significant damage following 3 hours of continuous testing, tip velocity of 160m/s (ASTM G73)|
|Solid Particle Impingement||8.8mm³ loss following direct impact of 50g dry silica sand at a velocity of 70 m/s (ASTM G76)|
|Adhesion (pull-off)||GRP composite: 10.5 MPa (1520 psi) at 20°C (68°F), cohesive failure of GRP composite|
|Adhesion (tensile shear)||Grit blasted mild steel: 25.2 MPa (3,650 psi) at 20°C (68°F)|
|UV resistance||No chalking or colour change following >2000 hours exposure, ISO 11341 (Xenon Arc)|